Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Defying all odds

I cannot believe that today is February 23rd and there's just 1 month 22 days and 18 hrs to go before the big day! AAHHHHHHH!

I ran a half marathon in Hampton NH this past weekend with a coworker.  It was zero degrees, 30 mph winds, and surprisingly, I felt good. Finished in 2 hours and 23 minutes maintaining a 10 min 57 second pace. I'm totally ok with this and hope I can sustain this pace for the race in April.  It really is amazing to me. I was always an athlete growing up but NEVER a distant runner. In fact I absolutely hated running and would dread needing to do drills in softball and basketball. I never ran more than 3 miles before last spring when I did the Nashua Soup Kitchen 10k race.  I've seriously made a lot of progress and I hope to continue.  I'm finding I really do actually enjoy running and maybe this will become a lifelong hobby.

Next milestone to meet  - a 14-16 mile Dana Farber team run this coming saturday.   Looking forward to it, and building my mileage.

http://www.pingg.com/rsvp/dfjaj7rm35q4x5jd3

I just RSVPed to an invite to a Dana Farber all you can eat pasta event and program for runners on Sunday April 17th right before the race. WOO!

Just heard that there are 560 people running for DFMC this year. That is amazing. And the goal is to fundraise $4.5million. 

My new credo to follow in running and in all that I do "DEFY ALL ODDS". Because that is exactly what I do. My hope is for everyone to find something in their life that they've always wanted to do and go for it, no matter if they think they can accomplish it or not. It can be done. 

2 comments:

  1. Good for you, Kate! You're quite a young woman! Best of luck as you continue to train for the BIG marathon. It will be memorable for sure.

    Hugs,
    Kathe

    ReplyDelete